Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Quick Fantasy Baseball Review, 20/20 Hindsight Edition

This blog is described as being about "[l]ibertarianism, sports, pop culture, and random bits of virtual insanity," and thus far I've fulfilled expectations except where sports are concerned. Admittedly, sports have gotten short shrift here. Whether it's because I've been growing increasingly jaded by the business of sports or I'm just too busy screaming from the rooftops, I don't know -- but my love for the games abides.

Anyway, sports. As if further evidence of my irredeemable dorkiness was needed, you'll be shocked to learn that one of my oldest and favorite hobbies is fantasy baseball. As Tracy will attest (with requisite eye rolling and head shaking), I devote an extraordinary amount of time to this nerdiest of pursuits. So much time, in fact, that my opinions on players and game strategy are often solicited (and sometimes respected) by friends who happen to share the obsession.

This is all preamble for the "funny" part -- while doing some e-mail housecleaning I came across an assessment of second basemen that I had assembled for a friend this spring. File this under Stuff I Actually Wrote:

"Brian Roberts, BAL -- He's Mark Grudzielanek with speed and a little better eye. Only value to a fantasy team is the SB -- a little doubles power but little chance to be a consistent HR threat. If you're desperate for steals, have at him -- but very little star potential here."

How's that assessment looking now??? Roberts is pounding the ball to the tune of .333/.407/.561, along with 27 2B, 5 3B, and 15 HR. Oh, and he was the starting 2B for the AL All Star team. Is it any wonder I'm sitting in 6th place out of 14 teams in my 5x5 league?

The lesson, of course: when the advice is free, you get what you pay for.

No comments: