So, Barack Obama - the candidate whose watchwords on the campaign trail were Hope! and Change! - won. In the Orwellian parlance of modern statecraft, this of course means that Obama:
- Won't end the occupation of Iraq and bring the troops home immediately.
- Won't endorse a foreign policy of nonintervention.
- Won't shut down Guantanamo Bay and end the practice of indefinite detentions without trial.
- Won't encourage Congress - a Democratic majority - to repeal the USA PATRIOT Act.
- Won't close the 120 American military bases scattered about the world.
- Won't abolish the Federal Reserve or repudiate the institution of central banking.
- Won't end the pointless, immoral and destructive War on Drugs.
Yep. Breathe it in, America. Hope. Change. Democracy.